LEVEL5 nail spotters are used to quickly fill and finish fastener indentations during the drywall finishing process.
With a nail spotter, you can fill and finish an entire row of fastener indentations (screw or nail) in a single pass. The process is much easier and faster than if you were doing it using traditional hand finishing tools, and typically much less sanding is required afterwards. With a nail spotter you also have additional reach, which means you can fill fastener indentations on high walls and ceilings without the use of stilts.
The wheels on a nail spotter head allow it to run smoothly on the surface of the drywall, as well as glide over joints without tearing the tape.
Nail spotting is typically performed in two or three thin coats. Although there is no definitive rules regarding which box size to use for each coat, we suggest the following to minimize sanding:
- 2” Width - One or two underlying fill coats
- 3” Width - Final skim coat to feather out the edges
- Nail spotting should be the first step in the drywall finishing process. This way you can do full passes without interruption due to freshly filled joints.
- Run your nail spotter passes in the same direction as your drywall butt joints.
- Prior to using your nail spotter, run a joint knife along the surface of the drywall to make sure none of the fasteners are protruding. Protruding fasteners will not finish properly and also have the potential to damage the carbide steel blade on the nail spotter.
- Before using the nail spotter, lubricate the sweep gasket to ensure the pressure lid is moving freely before filling the head with joint compound. We recommend using 3-in-1 machine oil (do not use WD-40, as it is caustic and will damage rubber and urethane gaskets over time).
- For easier use (and less potential mess), only fill up the nail spotter to approximately 80% of its capacity so that it sits just below the compound dispensing slot.
- The correct compound thickness for nail spotting is all about balance. You want to make sure that the compound is thin enough that it doesn’t take a lot of effort to get it to flow evenly out of the dispensing slot, but not so thin that you are seeing ridges or drips on the outside edges of each pass.
- Cover nail and screw spots with precision
- Robust design makes operation and cleaning easy
- Improves quality of finish
- Durable stainless steel construction
- Lightweight and mobile build
- Wiper seal made of premium urethane
- High carbon blades last longer and provide precise coating
- 7-Year Warranty
2ND GENERATION ENHANCEMENTS
- All structural components are higher-gauge, aircraft-grade aluminum for increased durability, even under heavy commercial use.
- New precision-machined billet aluminum body and side plates with bevelled edges.
- Side plates are now black hard-coat anodized, significantly reducing the friction against the sweep gasket and lowering required push force.
- New proprietary urethane sweep gasket provides less resistance, smoother operation and a better seal.
- Simplified handle mount fits the same adapter used for the LEVEL5 corner roller (also compatible with adapters from most other major brands).
- 2” Nail Spotter now features a third central blade mounting screw for improved blade curve adjustment.
- Hinged pressure plate opens wide for easy cleaning.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
LEVEL5 makes workhorse drywall finishing tools that set the standard for quality & reliability.
We back all of our tools with the strongest warranties in the industry and work hard to provide our family of finishers with the best customer service possible.
Do you have questions about your LEVEL5 Tool(s)? Call our toll-free support line at 866.562.4229 (local: 913.631.0804) or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our support team is available Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 4pm Central Time.
For its full line of automatic drywall finishing tools and accessories, LEVEL5 Tools, LLC. ("LEVEL5") offers a full seven (7) year warranty to the original owner that these products will be free from defects in material and function. This warranty is valid only in the USA, Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom and Europe. A one (1) year warranty applies in all other countries/markets.
Terms & Conditions
- The Warranty applies to the original owner and is not transferable.
- The Warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the product, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from its use.
- The Warranty does not cover normal wear, misuse, negligence, fire, theft, loss or intentional damage.
- All shipments to the LEVEL5 facility must be freight paid. LEVEL5 reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any product covered under the Warranty. Discontinued products may be replaced with newer models when necessary.