Automatic Taper Blade Replacement
Author: Brendan Rumball | March 28, 2023
When drywall taping with an automatic taper, an integral part to your productivity is the reliable, clean cutting of your drywall tape. As the auto taper blade is one of the most repetitively used components of your taper, it’s prone to wear and when dull can slow down your drywall taping process.
In this video, you’ll learn how to replace your automatic drywall taper’s blade in less than a minute with the help of LEVEL5 Tools’ lead technician Robby Deatherage.
How to Change a Drywall Taper Blade
- Start by loosening the wingnut in the channel of the taper's spring cover.
- On the other side of your taper, pull the cutter assembly chain through until the blade holder and blade are exposed.
- With a flathead screwdriver, loosen the screw holding the old blade in place.
- Remove the old blade and discard safely.
- Insert new blade and tighten the screw until the blade is firmly in place and the screw head is flush with the blade holder.
- Make sure that the blade is not making contact with the teeth of the sprocket by rotating the taper wheel.
- From the other side of the taper where this guide started, pull down on the spring back down and fasten the wingnut back into the channel of the spring cover.
How Often Should Drywall Taper Blades be Replaced?
How often a blade is replaced is up to the user, however it will be clear when a replacement is due as the drywall taper will not be cutting as smoothly as it once did. In need of some new blades or want to stock up? We sell replacements in singles as well as packs of 10 or 25. Click here to get a replacement pack.
When stuck, make sure to re-watch the video above,and for help with anything else not described in this video, feel free to emailor call us (toll-free) at 1.800.562.4229 to speak to our expert technical support team. For less urgent matters or just to chat, reach us on social media by heading to our Facebook or Instagram page.
For more quick and easy repair videos as well as a complete overview of the LEVEL5 Tools automatic drywall taper, make sure to check out the articles below and subscribe to our YouTube channel.